How sad. Last week, whilst networking, I had two conversations that prompted this blog post. Two successful small businesses are now in financial trouble because they stopped marketing. They both had great long term customers and felt they didn't need to do any more marketing. Guess what happened?
Last week, whilst networking, I had two conversations that prompted this blog post. Two successful small businesses are now in financial trouble because they stopped marketing. They both had great long term customers and felt they didn't need to do any more marketing.
Yes, both of the small business owners understand that standing still in business is death, but they did it anyway. They thought it would never happen to them, but it does! They were so busy making money they didn't feel the need to invest time (and their hard-earned money) into finding new customers. Seductive thinking isn't it?
I'm absolutely passionate about helping people not to get lost in the world of business. And I’d like to offer you a simple route to follow to avoid the "road closed" signs that these two people faced. Imagine if those two businesspeople had invested in strong referral relationships during the good times? How different may their worlds be now?
- Imagine if they had built up their referral network? Maybe they weren't looking for clients for themselves at that time, but spent some time each week just taking care of their contacts and making new business friends.
- Imagine if they had identified key people who knew the sorts of clients they wanted?
- Imagine if they agreed to help each other and became referral partners?
- Imagine if they had kept those partners briefed about their business, great stories of their successes and the great testimonials they received, always building their credibility and their partners' knowledge?
- Imagine if they had helped those key business people to succeed too, via referrals or promoting them in other ways?
- Imagine, having done that, what would happen when they went to these referral partners to ask for help to find new clients quickly? These partners would be equipped, ready, willing and able to help them!
- Imagine having an insurance policy like that for your business?
I call that insurance policy a Referral Marketing Plan and it’s about having a collaborative approach to business, which means that your network is right there beside you when you want (or suddenly need) new customers. Whether that is to start your business, expand one or when you are forced to take a diversion, isn't it better to have others along for the ride?
If you'd like to learn more about referral marketing then do give me a call on 07970 638857 and let's have a chat and see how I can help you.